Heavy Duty Batch Ovens for Precipitation Heat Treating Automotive Bumpers
Wisconsin Oven Corporation announced the shipment of three (3) heavy duty walk-in batch ovens to a manufacturer of aluminum automotive bumpers. The batch ovens are used for precipitation heat treating (aluminum aging) of aluminum automotive bumpers and are designed to heat 10,000 pounds of aluminum per batch. This production capability was required by the customer to keep up with increased order and demand. This customer had ordered three (3) aluminum aging ovens from Wisconsin Oven prior to this order, so their total production line consists of 6 ovens.
The gas-fired walk-in ovens have maximum temperature ratings of 500°F and work chambers of 8’W x 12’L x 10’H. The customer requested a temperature uniformity survey of +/-10°F at set points 250°F and 500°F. The customer does work for several large automotive companies and is required to follow the automotive specification CQI-9 with this equipment when aging the aluminum bumpers. Wisconsin Oven performed the temperature uniformity testing by measuring 20 points inside the oven chamber per AMS270E for Class 2 Ovens with instrumentation type D at the set points prior to shipment and at the customer’s facility after installation was completed.
Due to the shape and loading orientation of the aluminum bumpers the aluminum aging ovens were designed with horizontal style airflow to give them the best product results. Horizontal air flow is ideal for products arranged on multiple tiers when heated airflow cannot be directed vertically through the product such as this application. The adjustable ductwork can be set for optimum air flow efficiencies. The customer also purchased Wisconsin Oven services (we offer varying levels). Initially on the original three (3) ovens purchased they required “turn-key installation” but with the last three (3) ovens they felt comfortable installing the equipment themselves and only requested our “installation verification” service which saved some costs from the original ovens but maintained full confidence as our factory technician inspected the equipment prior to any use. With this service, Wisconsin Oven provides a service technician to verify the equipment was installed correctly at the customer’s facility.
“At Wisconsin Oven we believe in building relationships with our customers. We work with our customers to find the best solutions to their equipment needs. This order is just one example of many successful customer relationships that we have nurtured and built over the years.” Doug Christiansen, Application Engineer of Wisconsin Oven.
Unique features of these aluminum aging batch ovens:
- Accelerated cooling capabilities with automatically actuating exhaust/fresh air inlet system programmed through the oven control system (3,500 CFM exhaust). The exhaust automatically closes to only maintain the required exhaust during the normal heating process to get the best energy savings for the customer and fully opens for the cooling cycle. This feature also makes the working environment safer for employees who would normally be working with much hotter parts when unloading.
- Lowered purge time- this system is set up to automatically open the large exhaust blower damper during the purging cycle (this feature saves 18 minutes with every batch/load that is run)
- Low voltage calibration junction box- used to calibrate the controller/high limit/recorder thermocouple inputs and is required periodically per automotive specifications. This feature saves their personnel time as they would normally have to suit up with “arc flash” protective gear to access the high voltage main control panel to calibrate inputs on instruments (this feature also made the working environment safer by allowing those personnel to avoid the risk involved with performing required work in the high voltage control panel)
- WOC Paragon Processor (PLC oven control system)
- Eurotherm Nanodac digital paperless recorder
- 6 position Type J TC Jack Panel to allow the customer to monitor the temperature of the parts during the heating cycle
These walk-in ovens were fully factory tested and adjusted prior to shipment to help reduce installation and start-up times. A 150 point Quality Assurance check list was completed to ensure the equipment met all Wisconsin Oven quality standards. The heavy duty batch oven is backed by Wisconsin Oven’s Exclusive and Unprecedented 5-Year WOW™ warranty. This warranty covers all materials for all components (less wear items).